Reykjavík Climate & Temperature
- Reykjavík, Iceland is at 64°8'N, 21°53'W, 61 m (200 ft). See map.
- Reykjavík has a subpolar oceanic climate that is mild with no dry season and moderate seasonality. Summers are cool and short (Köppen-Geiger classification: Cfc).
- According to the Holdridge life zones system of bioclimatic classification Reykjavík is situated in or near the boreal wet forest biome.
- The average annual temperature is 4.3 degrees Celsius (39.7 degrees Fahrenheit). See the temperatures page for a monthly breakdown and the fixed scale graph.
- Average monthly temperatures vary by 11.1 °C (20°F). This indicates that the continentality type is oceanic, subtype truly oceanic.
- In the winter time records indicate temperatures by day reach 2.3°C (36.2°F) on average falling to -2°C (28.4°F) overnight.
- In spring time temperatures climb reaching 6.7°C (44°F) generally in the afternoon with overnight lows of 1.3°C (34.4°F).
- During summer average high temperatures are 13.3°C (56°F) and average low temperatures are 8°C (46.4°F).
- Come autumn/ fall temperatures decrease achieving average highs of 7.3°C (45.2°F) during the day and lows of 3°C (37.4°F) generally shortly after sunrise.
- Total annual Precipitation averages 798.2 mm (31.4 inches) which is equivalent to 798.2 Litres/m˛ (19.58 Gallons/ft˛).
- On average there are 1258 hours of sunshine per year. Visit the sunshine and daylight section to check monthly details including how high in the sky the sun reaches each month.
- Were you to burrow down through the centre of the Earth from Reykjavík you would pop up nearest to the climate station at Macquarie Island, Australia where you would find a Tundra climate.
Reykjavík Climate Comparisons
In depth comparisons with over 3,600 world destinations. Better understand a climate by comparing it relative to one you know (check it out):
Rio de Janeiro,
Reykjavík Climate Graph in Metric Units
Reykjavík Climograph in English Units
Please help others find this resource by sharing the link:
Climate of Reykjavík, Iceland Discussion
Post your insights, comments, questions, answers, feedback, error reports, related link suggestions etc. using the easy form below.
Navigate to Surrounding Climate Guides:
- Jan Mayen Island, Norway - 950.3 kms (590.6 miles) NNE
- Jan Mayen B, Norway - 938 kms (582.9 miles) NNE
- Raufarhöfn, Iceland - 377.7 kms (234.7 miles) NE
- Akureyri, Iceland - 249.1 kms (154.8 miles) NE
- Dalatangi, Iceland - 414.5 kms (257.5 miles) ENE
- Hofn, Holar I Hornafirdi, Iceland - 325.2 kms (202.1 miles) E
- Kirkjubćjarklaustur, Iceland - 191.1 kms (118.8 miles) E
- Vestmannaeyjar, Iceland - 113.9 kms (70.7 miles) SE
- Mykines Fyr, Faroe Islands - 747.9 kms (464.7 miles) E
- Hoyvík/ Tórshavn, Faroe Islands - 795.4 kms (494.2 miles) E
- Torshavn, Denmark - 795.1 kms (494.1 miles) E